We're looking for a second editor to join our Reviews Department and help us publish reviews that explore literary work about motherhood.
Please note: This is a volunteer position. All work is conducted remotely, via internet.
Send your resume and cover letter to lminfo (at) literarymama (dot) com by September 22, 2017.
Our reviews offer readers a reasoned, fair, well-balanced and supported critique of the work, offered in a positive and supportive tone. Summaries are included it they serve a purpose in illustrating a point or supporting a thesis, and doesn't simply give away the plot. Our reviews also consider craft and include comments on literary style; use of literary elements such as metaphor, symbolism, narrative structure, or narrative flow, cohesion, development; use of example and illustration; and appeal to the intended audience. Read some of our reviews here.
Our reviews editors gather ideas and acquire books to be reviewed, solicit writers, and work with writers to create reviews that meet our guidelines.
Qualifications and Expectations
- Experienced in writing, editing, and critiquing as evidenced by publication credits, teaching career, or writing group participation
- Open-minded and able to find something positive about any piece of writing
- Organized, detail- and deadline-oriented
- Able to work independently yet maintain affiliation with a team who meets and completes projects via cyberspace
- 4 to 6 hours a week, depending on the number of submissions in the department
Our current team hails from nearly 30 locations throughout the world and includes communications professionals, university professors, writers, editors, copyeditors, photographers, and moms. We're passionate about motherhood, the written word, and the community that brings the two together. We believe we inhabit a unique space in the publishing world and hope you agree. We look forward to meeting you!