Literary Mama features writing by both established and emerging writers about the complexities of motherhood. We believe in a wide-ranging understanding of motherhood as experienced through multiple lenses and bodies. We seek top-notch fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction from self-identified mothers. We also publish columns, book reviews, profiles of mother writers and artists, guest blog posts, and original photography to complement our content.
Please review our Mission Statement and read through our archives to find out what we like. Our general and specific submission guidelines are below.
General Submission Guidelines
Literary Mama seeks:
- Submissions by anyone who identifies as a mother, including those hoping to conceive and those who have lost a child. We also occasionally publish work by fathers.
- Writing rooted in and inspired by the experience of motherhood in all its variations.
- Fresh perspectives, superior craft, and vivid imagery.
- Revelation so stark that it hurts. Pathos can reveal, but so can humor and joy.
- We are open for submission year round.
- Standard response time is three months.
- Please indicate in your cover letter if this is a simultaneous submission. If your submission is accepted elsewhere, please let us know immediately.
- We accept only previously unpublished work.
- Electronic submissions only. Please send submissions to the appropriate departmental editors after reading department-specific guidelines (see below). Include a brief cover letter and bio.
- Authors and photographers retain rights. Please credit us if your work is republished, and please be sure to let us know so we can celebrate your achievements!
- Literary Mama is not currently a paying market. We are all volunteers: editors, writers, visual artists, and editorial assistants. With the publication of each issue, we make a concerted effort to promote the work of our contributors via Facebook, Twitter, and our newsletter.
Department-Specific Submission Guidelines
For general questions about Literary Mama, contact us at LMinfo (at) literarymama (dot) com